Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Sunday, August 14, 2005

High Anxiety

Taking a nap in Houston

Today was travel day.

Our flight left on time. We arrived in Houston on time.

The connecting flight to Memphis is on a small 55-passenger jet. Houston airport is being surrounded by ever-thickening dark clouds.

They announce that our connecting flight isn't there, it has been diverted to Beaumont, TX because of lightning in Houston and it can't take off because of lightning in Beaumont (maybe someday I'll understand aviation mysteries like why didn't they divert the plane to one of the many airports without lightning?).

So we wait. We wait for three hours, during which time Steven sleeps and I watch the lightning and listen to the flights being cancelled and fret. I don't like flying in the first place, and the prospect of boarding a really small jet for the purpose of flying into a storm isn't particularly comforting to me.

I seriously consider renting a car and driving the last 500 miles to Memphis, I just got done driving 3500 miles on our recent vacation, what's 500 miles more and so what if we arrive at midnight?

Another plane arrives, not ours, but the Continental customer service lady knows that Steven is a St. Jude patient and that we're traveling for medical reasons, so she puts us on that plane.

The first 25 minutes of our plane ride were like a cross between the Viper and Free Fall rollercoasters at Six Flags. I closed my eyes, cried quietly, and prayed that the plane would stay aloft.

It did. The clouds thinned, we got to see the sun, and we were treated to a magnificent cloudscape for the rest of our flight to Memphis.

Memphis from the air

When we got to Memphis, our luggage wasn't there. I might have gotten upset over that, but I was so glad to be on the ground that waiting over an hour to find our luggage and missing our dinner opportunity at St. Jude didn't seem like much at all.

Our favorite shuttle driver took us to Grizzlies House at St. Jude, but everything was great this time.

Steven's brain MRI is tomorrow late afternoon. Earlier, Steven was worrying about having his I.V. inserted for the MRI contrast.

But right now he's asleep and I'm glad. I'll do the worrying for both of us.

- Kathleen


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have metastatic brain cancer. Just saw my Cyberknife doctor. He said MRI was good. He then left the room, and I got a copy of my MRI result; it showed that a brain lesion increased from 4 mm to 6 mm. He never mentioned this during our visit, and I can't get anyone to explain this to me. Doctor thinks my anxiety level is off the charts about my brain cancer. Of course it is; his anxiety would be high too if he had cancer. He wants me to go to primary dr. to treat anxiety before he will see me to explain what the MRI report means.


September 29, 2011 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares