Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Big Sky Country


I sing my heart out to the wide open spaces


I sing my heart out to the infinite sea


I sing my vision to the sky-high mountains


I sing my song to the free


To the free...

Montana was beautiful. Warm days, cool nights. Sky-high mountains. The sound of the river. Elk. Deer. Moose. No sales tax.

My brother Arnold brought his float boat and Steven, Sean, Doug, my dad, and Arnold all fished together. Five was too many to fish on the boat, so they'd float and then wade.

Sean caught four fish, as did Doug. Arnold caught a bunch of fish, maybe 20. Steven didn't catch any.

But it didn't matter, Steven loved his time there fly-fishing. On our last night, Saturday, Steven came to me with tears in his eyes and said he didn't want to leave. He asked me why we couldn't move there.

I asked him if he wanted to leave his school and his friends and he said maybe, but that he liked his school and teacher a lot. I asked him what was the worst thing about going home and he said going to Memphis.

I wish he woudn't worry. Heaven knows, I do way more than enough worrying for the both of us.

We're home again. Tomorrow Steven and Sean have a golf tournament. Sunday Steven and I leave for Memphis for a week.

Our vacation was wonderful in every way, all of it. We're holding that joy close to our hearts and praying it will carry us through next week.

- Kathleen



< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares