Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Saturday, April 02, 2005

I Wish To Go...


see Ursus Maritimus in their natural habitat...


and to see the northern lights...

Now, how cool would that be?

Steven has been generously granted a wish by the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

After much thinking about many different possibilities for a wish, his final choice was a trip up north.

So, sometime next November, we are going to embark upon a trip to northern Canada, to the city of Churchill in Manitoba on the Hudson Bay, to see the polar bears in their natural habitat.

We will be traveling in tundra buggy, a large vehicle with huge tires, kind of like a monster truck, that is specially equipped to go out on the tundra where the polar bears live. Hopefully it will be quite an adventure.

A nearby school, Solana Santa Fe Elementary, has "adopted" Steven and the students at the school are raising funds to help pay for Steven's trip.


Steven and two 5th-grade girls who put up a lemonade stand to raise money

Last Wednesday, they invited us to come and visit their school so the students could meet Steven.


Steven holding a frozen fish in the 5th grade class

It was Ocean Week there, and every classroom was doing different activities related to learning about the ocean.


Steven got to check out the third grade crayfish experiments

Steven was invited to the different classrooms to see their experiments and to meet the students.


Steven was interviewed for their school TV station, the Coyote Broadcasting Company

Everyone was so nice, it was a humbling experience. The sixth graders studied the Arctic in anticipation of his trip, and are putting together a book for him about interesting Arctic facts.

As we were leaving, Steven was asking if he could go to that school. They promised to invite us back in a few weeks.

We are so grateful to Make-A-Wish and Solana Santa Fe School.

We can't wait...

- Kathleen

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you guys today...and I finally found your website (sadly, I am not a computer maven like you all!) We just got our first "get things started" call from Make a Wish...I think I can safely say my Genna won't be wanting to see polar bears. She's afraid of anything with fur (but she doesn't randomly scream at the sight of a cat or dog anymore, which is a vast improvement). Anyway, I remembered Steven's wish,and thought I'd look you up. Great site here.

Hope you get to do some more fishing on your vacation! Be safe, be well--I'll be thinking of you when you head back to Memphis.

best to you--

August 01, 2005 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy,
This is wonderful. I'm thinking you're getting ready for that trip now -- November, right? Make-A-Wish is a wonderful organization. I'm so glad they can grant Steven's wish!

I just found your website (love the photo of Monterey Bay!) through Brian's Audience of One blog.

All best wishes --
Pat

October 08, 2005 5:10 PM  
Blogger KT said...

Wow. I am a M.S. student studying conservation biology and I needed to get polar bear pictures for a resentation and your website came up! After just browsing a bit I can say I am greatly touched by your story and hope all the best for your family. You are in my prayers!

Have you traveled and seen the polar bears yet? How about those Nothern Lights? I HAVE seen them and they are absolutely amazing. I hope one day myself to end up working in Alaska to SAVE those polar bears so future Stevens will still be able to visit them in their natural habitats. Keep it up, make every breath count, and remember you are all in my thoughts...

-KT, future wildlife ecologist

February 21, 2008 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares