Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Monday, December 13, 2004

Trinkets, Treasures, and Boxes of Memories


Sean and Steven in front of our tree

We didn't put up a tree last year. We didn't even get any boxes of Christmas stuff down from the attic. Not even after our wonderful neighbor offered to completely take care of it for us and take it down after we'd left for Memphis.

I didn't want a tree. Actually, I did want a tree, but I wasn't up to the experience of opening our boxes of decorations and putting them on the tree.

Tucked away in the boxes Christmas stuff are ornaments with photos of our kids as babies. An angel ornament with Kyra's name on it. Ornaments made by the kids from preschool and kindergarten. Souvenir ornaments from our vacations. A Christmas stocking for Steven decorated by Kyra on her last Christmas, when she was four. The stocking my mother made for me when I was four. The dinosaur ornaments that Steven picked out when he was three.

To the sound of Christmas music, the memory held by each trinket is set free as it is hung lovingly on the tree, the memories swirl about the pine branches with their sweet aroma.

The tree filled with our memories, how could we have left it behind? The leaving was difficult enough as it was.


Steven and Doug at the Coors Golf Tournament Benefit for St. Jude on Monday 12-13

We bought our tree last Friday at a Christmas tree lot where we were blessed to find a beautiful noble fir, straight and symmetrical.

To the sound of Christmas music, Doug and Steven loaded the tree with lights, and when they were done, Steven, Sean and I opened up those boxes of trinkets and treasures and let the happy and sad memories fill the room and flood over us as we decorated our tree.

Love to all of you and we hope that you are enjoying your Christmas/Holiday season this year.

- Kathleen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy and Family!! Hope you have wonderful Chistmas and may all your wildest dreams come true :)

Tennessee Christmas

Amy Grant, Gary Chapman (c) 1983
Come on, weather man,
give us a forecast snowy white
Can't you hear the prayers
of every childlike heart tonight
Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling
Somebody said it's four feet deep
But it doesn't matter, give me the laughter
I'm gonna choose to keep.

Another tender Tennessee Christmas
The only Christmas for me
Where the love circles around us
Like the gifts around our tree
Well, I know there's more snow up in Colorado
Than my roof will ever see
But a tender Tennessee Christmas
is the only Christmas for me.

Every now and then I get a wandering urge to see
Maybe California, maybe Tinsel Town's for me
There's a parade there, we'd have it made there
Bring home a tan for New Year's Eve
Sure sounds inviting, awfully exciting
Still I think I'm gonna keep.

Another tender Tennessee Christmas
The only Christmas for me
Where the love circles around us
Like the gifts around our tree
Well, they say in L.A. it's a warm holiday
It's the only place to be
But a tender Tennessee Christmas
is the only Christmas for me.

December 21, 2004 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares