Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Torrey Hills Second Grade Meets The Butterflies


The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
- Rabindranath Tagore

Sean's second grade class had a field trip last week to see the Monarch butterflies at The Monarch Program in Encinitas, and I had the privelege of accompanying them.

There were no seats available on the bus next to any of Sean's male classmates so he had to sit next to Simone on the bus.


Sean and Simone

Sean spent most of his time chasing butterflies with a piece of cantaloupe trying to coax one to land. No amount of coaching on my part would get him to curb his enthusiasm with the cantaloupe. I finally snagged my own piece of cantaloupe and with a little patience, got a butterfly to land and then gave the cantaloupe to Sean and his assigned partner, Kiana.


Sean and Kiana

When I asked Kiana's permission to snap this photo, she informed me matter-of-factly that she doesn't allow her picture to be taken with boys. I asked her if she would permit me this one time and she finally consented.

Sean says he doesn't particularly like girls but he likes Kiana because she's funny.

Happiness is a butterfly,
which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp,
but which, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you.
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

- Kathleen



< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares