Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam
Steven and Sean on the Polar Bear Cam

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Honoring Our Mothers


Sean and me

Giving birth is little more than a set of muscular contractions granting passage of a child. Then the mother is born.
-Erma Bombeck


My mom and dad

You don’t have to deserve your mother’s love. You have to deserve your father’s. He’s more particular.... The father is always a Republican towards his son, and his mother’s always a Democrat.
- Robert Frost


Doug's mom and dad

I love my mother for all the times she said absolutely nothing. . . . Thinking back on it all, it must have been the most difficult part of mothering she ever had to do: knowing the outcome, yet feeling she had no right to keep me from charting my own path. I thank her for all her virtues, but mostly for never once having said, "I told you so."
- Erma Bombeck


My sister Elizabeth and her son Elijah

"Mother" has always been a generic term synonymous with love, devotion, and sacrifice. There’s always been something mystical and reverent about them. They’re the Walter Cronkites of the human race . . . infallible, virtuous, without flaws and conceived without original sin, with no room for ambivalence.
- Erma Bombeck


Elizabeth's daughter-in-law Erin and baby Ryden

A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.
- Victor Hugo


Elizabeth's daughter Rebekah and Noah

"The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness."
- Honore' de Balzac


My mom's sister Shirley and Steven

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.
- Abraham Lincoln

Last year on Mother's Day, we were en route home from Memphis and we celebrated with a jeep tour in Canyon de Chelly.

We needed a little down time on our way home, the beginning of trying to pick up the pieces of what we thought our lives were and moving forward with new realities.

It was really great to be home with our family again this year.

-Kathleen



< ? Blogging Mommies # >
Listed on BlogShares